Saturday 25 June 2011

This tin is filled with chopsticks. I can't recall ever using chopsticks at home, which is why I forgot about it until we had to empty the pantry to get the whole kitchen painted. Nor do I recall ever owning a bottle of Benedictine. I think the proprietor of the local liquor store gave me the tin on account of I was obviously in love with it and I was agood customer and his usual buyers of Benedictine would not have appreciated the art of Javier Mariscal quite as I do. You can find the image online as an art print, as I guess it also appeared as a poster. But here it is in its original setting. And here's a close up of the male figure on the left.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Santiago García said...

Eddie, I recently saw a label on a bottle of wine with drawings and design by Daniel Torres ("Roco Vargas", an international hit in the Eighties). I guess that the Valencia School of cartoonists from the 80s was accepted in the field of design (with Mariscal as the foremost, of course) and they even managed to symbolize good living and good taste, which we know is not the kind of values society usually relates to comics.

Anyways, when you last visited Barcelona, Sinsentido had just printed the first collection in twenty years of "Los Garriris" by Mariscal. That's the legendary series that Mariscal published in "El Víbora" magazine during the early Eighties. This new edition is a gorgeous book, hope that you could see it.

25 June 2011 at 03:36:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

25 June 2011 at 06:42:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

I love Los Garriris.

I recently sent Hayley a scan of a Garriris page that appeared in Raw, just to cheer her up, and she posted it on the Gosh blog which she writes every week (scan right to end)

(previous deleted because I'm out of practice with the hyperlinks)

25 June 2011 at 06:44:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Todd said...

Mr. Campbell,

I'm glad to see that you've returned to blogging. It's been well over a year.

I do hope it wasn't due to health reasons.

Todd

25 June 2011 at 21:55:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

You should try and get hold of a bottle of Benedictine, it isn't half bad for a French liqueur (although I tend to prefer green Chartreuse).

2 July 2011 at 14:15:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home