Monday 31 August 2009

I'm still reading through Eisner's PS inventory. This one made me laugh out loud. They've just figured out what's causing the large volume of windscreen breakages on the M38 jeep. It's the guy on the right, presumably the driver, wearing a baseball face-guard, that cracked me up.
#59, Aug 1957

I'm recalling that Eisner once said that he sometimes found himself in a difficult position when things were blamed on bad maintenance when the fault in the particular case was obviously in the design of the equipment.
- As expected, the good moments are getting rare throughout 1957. I went back and checked the earliest issues, the six from 1951 and was surprised just how much of Eisner there is all through them. Something I didn't notice earlier is that those are 100% in colour all through. The one colour only cost-saving measure kicks in the following year, 1952. In #60 of Sept. 1957 they start printing it on whiter paper. Im amused by the changing fashions, after opening 24 pages of dry technical drawings.
#62 Nov. 1957,

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Erik Halverson said...

A couple years ago I came across a listing on craigslist, the U.S. military was looking for a cartoonist. It didn't really specify what sort of cartooning would be needed, pamphlets and manuals on cleaning guns I would assume. For a brief moment I was tempted to follow through on it as I didn't have a job or much else happening, the only trouble being I would've had to join the military (not really a strong selling point). Seeing these Eisner drawings makes me think I probably wouldn't have come close to adding much to the "medium". Oh well, next time. . .

1 September 2009 at 17:16:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Yoga Gal said...

As always great stuff, now just wanted to know what you think of Disney buying Marvel Comics for 7.4 BILLION dollars! That's all we need, more mind control over our youth by mighty Mouse! Need to share my disgust! Love your stuff! Geri

1 September 2009 at 22:27:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Campbell said...

Hi there Eddie,

My name is Campbell Whyte, I am a 24 year old artist applying for an upcoming Young People and Arts Fellowship to develop a graphic novel I have been working on.

I was hoping to contact you so I could discuss an aspect of the Fellowship that I would like you to be involved in.

My email is campbellwhyte@gmail.com
and you can see part of the initial draft of the story here.
http://comic.thehometimebell.com/2008/08/page1a-by-campbel1-on-flickr.html

Thanks, Campbell

2 September 2009 at 09:58:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since this here comment section is already turning into a free-for-all:

John Netley from the From Hell comic... Since at the time no images of him were known, did you base him on the Netley from the 1988 Jack the Ripper telly thing with Michael Caine?

http://www.filmdope.com/Gallery/ActorsS/25785-9775.gif

I saw that one when I was in my early teens and it hugely freaked me out. Got the DVD now, and have seen it several times.

Of course, now a photo of Netley HAS turned up, and I expect you to be drawing beards on all Netleys soon, for a revised From Hell edition!
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/36894/834298-john_netley1_large.jpg

3 September 2009 at 09:47:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Yes, that movie Netley was all we had to go on. he didn't appear in any previous version.
I recall that the photo turned up before I drew chapter 14. Netley appears in Gull's 'dream' of the future and I tried to make him look both like my own Netley and the real one. I probably confused people.

3 September 2009 at 13:57:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home