Thursday 10 April 2008

two facing pages from La Razon that caught my eye while I was in Granada, Spain in 2005. Does this gesture with one hand over the face and one over the groin have some significance? Or is the guy on the right, who is presumably advertising a skin or fitness clinic, inadvertently mocking the tragedy of the poor geezer on the left.


I have looked around for some info on hand gestures. The wikipedia page has a catalogue of information, but nothing that corresponds to the two guys in the paper. Somewhere else I see somebody writing a thesis on "Detection and Analytsis (sic) of Hand over face gestures," but otherwise I'm just a tourist.
********
Graffiti village name change plan- BBC - 9 April

Vandals keep changing the letter 'L' to a 'C' on the village's signs
Residents living in a graffiti-plagued village in Merseyside are being asked to consider changing its name to tackle vandals who alter signs in the village. Lunt, which dates back to Medieval times, has been repeatedly targeted by vandals who change the "L" to a "C".
(with photo)

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Adams said...

I think the guy in the add is doing the international signal for "Crap, I left it at home, what am I going to do now? I am such an idiot!" The poor bloke in the top article, I think he is too struck by grief to care where he puts his hands.

10 April 2008 at 02:17:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In 1992 I lived in East Sussex and the prospective Conservative MP had spent a fortune on putting up signs with her name on all over the district. This backfired on her somewhat as her name was Jacqui Lait, and people would just scrawl an E in front.

Ben Smith

10 April 2008 at 06:37:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a great post about inadvertent juxtapositions in newspaper ads here.

10 April 2008 at 08:02:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Austin Kleon said...

This kind of reminds me of McSweeney's Convergences contest.

I recently discovered my own...

10 April 2008 at 11:51:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Eddie,
Talking about Spain, I'm Norman Fernadez from the Semana Negra de Gijón (Do you remenbar the From Hell exhibition?)
Hope everything is going well there.
I had try to send a mail but the direction I have dosen,t work.
This year we are thinking in doing something about autobiographic comics. How is your tour agenda this year?
In which continet will you be between july the 11th and the 20th?
Take care.
Ciao.
Norman (my mail is pepillogrillo@yahoo.com)

12 April 2008 at 09:04:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's just a case of really weird picture editing. Is it even inadvertent? People can fail to be clever just as easily as they fail to use their eyes...

15 April 2008 at 16:14:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home