Monday 10 September 2007

This business used to be a solitary sit-at-home kind of thing

To Melbourne for the Tv shoot. That's around 900 miles from my front door to the rendezvous, at a pub called the Builder's Arms. All that way to a pub. The crew started setting up in the restaurant room which I thought looked a bit bright with its crimson upholstery, and I took myself into the public bar for a 'loosener' as my pal White would say. TV journalist Emma Crimmngs stuck her head in and said there was a change of plan, we're going to the comic book store to shoot. Well I've nothing against Minotaur Comics, but my purpose in all of this is to get the whole subject out into the real world. It must have been written on my mush, because one sour look was all that was needed and within ten minutes we were set up to shoot me sitting sideways at the bar with a full glass of Cooper's Pale in front of me. I was to be televised in my natural habitat (voice over by David Attenborough). I blabbed for forty minutes, and threw in a disc with photos and scans. Nicki Greenberg and Shaun Tan did a simlar time each in other locations earlier in the day, and the whole lot is to be boiled down to ten or fifteen mnutes, to air on the ABC Sunday Arts program. As to the date, I'll let you know when I know myself. Had a couple of beers with Nicki Greenberg before flying back. I have to appear with Nicki again again later this week (see below), which will be the fourth time in a matter of weeks, counting the Age article and the Melbourne festival. She says we've become the Statler and Waldorf of Australian strip cartoons and sends this picture:


BRISBANE WRITERS FESTIVAL
The official site

These are all evening appearances , in contrast to Melbourne which were all during the day.

Thursday, 13 September 2007, 8:15 PM - 9:15 PM
EDDIE CAMPBELL IN CONVERSATION WITH BRYAN TALBOT
Visy Theatre - Brisbane Powerhouse. Of Graphic Novel Fame
Eddie Campbell in conversation with Bryan Talbot. Brisbane’s award-winning graphic novelists Campbell and Talbot discuss their work as it relates to the larger history of illustrated literature.
Bookings essential. Tickets $12/$10 at PowerTix.

Thursday, 13 September 2007, 9:30 PM - 10:30 PM
AS IT HAPPENS: AUTOBIOGRAPHY IN GRAPHIC NOVELS
Visy Theatre - Brisbane Powerhouse
Join Nicki Greenberg, Guy Delisle and Leigh Rigozzi, three of the sharpest self-styled graphic novelists, to discuss how they use their everyday lives to produce acclaimed graphic novels. Chair: Eddie Campbell.
Bookings essential. Tickets $12/$10 at PowerTix.

Friday, 14 September 2007, 7:00 PM - 8:00 PM
DOES THE LITERATURE OF OUR TIMES HAVE PICTURES?
Visy Theatre - Brisbane Powerhouse
Eddie Campbell, Guy Delisle, Bryan Talbot and Shaun Tan.
Hear four of the world’s most renowned graphic novelists talk about the rise and rise of the medium and the ideas and issues that propel their work. Chair: Daren White
Bookings essential. Tickets $12/$10 at PowerTix.

The saturday one is part of the Children's and Young Adult Writers And Illustrators Conference
15th September 2007, at the QUT Creative Industries Precinct in Kelvin Grove at 2.50 to 3.30.
topic: The Graphic Novel Manifesto.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger James Robert Smith said...

How far are you from Perth?

10 September 2007 at 18:17:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

Oh, crap. It's on the other side of the nation!

10 September 2007 at 18:19:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Once when i was sizing up the problems of distribution here in Australia I calculated that the Population is roughly equivalent to that of New York State (circa 20 million) but size:
NY ST: 50 thousand sq miles
Aust: 3 million sq miles.

10 September 2007 at 18:26:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Eddie, hope you have fun with Bryan and Guy.

I was wondering if you would be up for another Inkstuds appearance. I only need about 30 mins. I am going to do a couple of shows about long departed artist, and was wondering if you would be up for saying anything about Hugo Pratt and Frank King. I am going to do 2 different shows that these will be for.

email me inkstuds@inkstuds.com if you are interested.

robin

10 September 2007 at 20:25:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Anthony Woodward said...

thank you for stopping them from going into minotaur! I have nothing aginst the store but I fail to see its relevance in interviewing you other than pigeon holing the medium.
Hopefully they don't insert ZAP POW BANG Stills in between interviews.

10 September 2007 at 20:47:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

I supplied twenty stills on disc.

nothing has been left to chance.

10 September 2007 at 21:03:00 GMT-5  
Blogger drjon said...

Damn it all, War of the Worlds is on Thursday night...

I'll be at the Friday gig, I hope.

10 September 2007 at 21:13:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Colman G said...

Wednesday, 12 September 2007, 8:15 PM - 9:15 PM
GRAPHIC NOVELS: GRAPHICALLY NOVEL?
Visy Theatre - Brisbane Powerhouse
Join award-winning graphic novelist Bryan Talbot, renowned graphic novelist Nicki Greenberg and acclaimed graphic novelist Eddie Campbell, as they discuss the novel difficulties and graphic rewards of creating graphic novels at this novel point in the graphic history of the graphic novel medium. Chaired by Shaun Tan, of graphic novel fame.
Graphicnovels essential. Graphicnovels $12/$10 at GraphicNovels.


>:)

10 September 2007 at 23:34:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Nicki Greenberg said...

Did I say "the Statler and Waldorf of Australian strip cartoons"?

Surely I said "of Australian comics" - OUCH! OK! STOP! Just kidding, just kidding, I promise!

Statler

11 September 2007 at 04:00:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Colman you bastard, you had me in a panic for a minute.
How did Nicki breeze past that one? She doesn't even fly in till the thursday morning.

11 September 2007 at 07:17:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

In fact that is exacty the time me and White will be having a couple of 'looseners' prior to the grand opening party.
my whole life passed before my eyes when I read that.
:)

11 September 2007 at 07:25:00 GMT-5  
Blogger drjon said...

Colman, you're a Bad, Bad Man ;}P>

11 September 2007 at 18:08:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home