Wednesday 23 May 2007

How to Beat an Artist, and a fan too.

The above appears at Amazon.com.. How to BEAT an Artist. Presumably when you 'search inside' you'll see one getting walloped:

That's a scene from The Fate of the Artist- see sidebar.
(Amazon tip via Ben Smith and Marcus Gipps in comments here a couple of days back)
*******
Speaking of artists being mistreated, Heidi MacDonald alerts us to Stan Sakai being ripped off by a bastard selling his free sketch on EBAy
It reminds me of my con-sketch anecdote. A guy asks for a sketch and I say 'Only if you're buying a book.' he says, 'Okay, what's the cheapest book you have?'.
"I'm selling the Bacchus Color Special at cover price, three bucks." 'Will you draw a sketch if I buy one of those?"
"yes." I sigh.
So he pulls out his pad. As I'm starting in, "Can you make it a drawing of me?"
So now he's making things difficult and I'm beginning to feel restless. But I start sketching the generality of his physiognomy. He butts in again: "Can you make it of me, but have me being stabbed to death by a London prostitute?"
Now I have to angle the thing so that he's falling over.
"And make the prostitute Marie Kelly."
I'm starting to feel pissed off now. I finish the job as quickly as I can.
At the last moment a thought occurs to me. I execute it.
As Marie Kelly murderously brings down that blade and the blood spurts, I give her a word balloon. In it she is saying: "Take that, you cheap bastard!" and I make sure it has the guy's name on it.
He seems pleased and thanks me.
*********
And so to sweeter things:
Craig Yoe's contest: AMERICA’S TOP TOON-A-MILF!--Monday, May 21.
And the Winner is: Morticia Addams!!!
And that’s whom I’d have picked:

(reused from my dec. 18 post. Its origin is explained there.)
On the same subject: Gomez, 'Tish Addams Broadway-bound--NEW YORK, May 21 (UPI)
The creepy, kooky Addams family is heading to New York's Broadway for the 2009-10 season.
The grand-scale musical, based on the cartoons of Charles Addams, will be capitalized for more than $10 million by producer Elephant Eye Theatrical in Chicago, Variety reported Monday.

*********
Craig Thompson’s notebooks. Look at ‘em and weep. Like I just did.
How did he find the time? Still, now that he's blogging, that will be an end to that.
********
our pal hemlockman photographs a shark! But he says those sorts don't eat you. Send them all over here to Australia. Still, rather him than me.
********
and in other news:
Man busted while drunk driving in wheelchair --Tue May 22.
"It's not like we can impound his wheelchair," the spokesman said. "But he is facing some sort of punishment."
********
Reviews of the Black Diamond Detective Agency, due out middle of next week I believe:
Newsarama
Edmonton's Vueweekly.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Peeboo said...

Thats sad about Stan Sakai.I've seen a few etchings and lithographs done by relatively famous local artists that have been almost graffiti'd to death with the name of the recipient before they have been given away by the artist. Thus ensuring that the gift remains a gift.

I have heard stories of artists, for the life of me I cant remember who, writing 'Given freely, never to be resold' on the back of canvases that gave been gifted.

23 May 2007 at 00:58:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Stuart Immonen said...

RE: Con sketching: Hilarious and sad. And all too typical. I empathize with Mr Sakai and yourself, sir.

50 Reasons To Stop Sketching At Conventions

I'll send you a copy. Email to follow.

23 May 2007 at 07:37:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Christopher Moonlight said...

It looks like Hiedi linked your sketching story to her blog at The Beat. I think she likes you.

23 May 2007 at 12:44:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

That's something I've been meaning to ask you about:

Did your wife really bash you over the head so that your scalp was cut and required stitches? (I have problems extricating the real from the fantastic in your work.)

23 May 2007 at 17:11:00 GMT-5  
Blogger drjon said...

Yup, Morticia Addams is definitely a Yummy Mummy...

24 May 2007 at 03:30:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Daniel Best said...

$3.00 sketches? Put me down for one then. Mind you I'd like a recreation of the Sistine Chapel, falling over and being stabbed by a prostitute. Named Marie Kelly.

Can you handle that?

Seriously Eddie, I'd be adding zeros to that $3.00 just to get my hands on some of your art.

Morticia Addams...when I met John Astin we started talking about the Munsters and the Addams Fanily. He asked which did I prefer, Morticia or Lily. I asnwered Morticia and said that while Lily looked like the kind of mother who'd happily tuck you in at night, Morticia looked like she'd more than happily leap into the bed with you. Astin chuckled and said that's what he always thought as well.

God love Morticia Addams. "That's French, Tich!"

29 May 2007 at 17:21:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Craig Thompson's notebooks are brilliant in inverse proportion to the quality of his final works.
Yes, he draws like a dream. But he writes like a talented twelve year old. BLANKETS was a twenty page story inflated beyond all reasonable length.
CHUNKY RICE ditto.
I can't believe you haven't seen through that yourself eddie , your bullshit detectors are usually more perceptive.

Jerry M

30 May 2007 at 21:03:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Christopher,
thanks

james
yes, the wife of my bosom hit me so hard she had to drive me to the hospital

jerry M
uhmm... Are you referring to something i said, something i didn't say, or something you think i said? I presume at the least you've read the 3-page essay i wrote about Thompson in the Comics journal in 2004?

Eddie

30 May 2007 at 22:03:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home