Friday 4 May 2007

HAPPY STAR WARS DAY!

MAY THE FOURTH BE WITH YOU!
The epic saga began with the film Star Wars (later retitled Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope), which was released by 20th Century Fox thirty years ago on May 25, 1977. But we here at campbell blogspot have decided to rewrite history, much like Lucas did and make it May 4.

HAN SHOT FIRST!
Long time readers of me blog will remember me telling the anecdote of how writer Bob Morales used the "Han Shot First' motto as the springboard to a plot twist in which Steve (Captain America) Rogers, while on his way back to his own timestream, makes a detour in which to alter history and put the twin towers back up. I didn't have the art handy then, but I have it now and I've attempted to peel back one of the paste overs to reveal the original motto on the t-shirt, as it looked before our editor decided it was too risky. (though looking at my crap lettering it's undoubtedly a good thing that I got stewart McKenny, then assisting me, to put something more professional over the top of it.)




(Brian Reber was colorist)

Those R2D2 mailboxes... Are they up and running yet?
*********

in other news:
This made me laff:
Gary Groth told to bugger off (or words to that effect) by Shannon Wheeler. (via Heidi, who shows a photo)
Groth vs Ellison. The last time we contemplated one of them here at Campbell blogspot our mind became unhinged and we gibbered incoherently about a gecko invasion from outer space for the rest of the week.
(my official opinion: there is not so much money in this game that idiots should be wasting it on lawsuits.)

Chabon's frozen Chosen
By Sean Rubinsztein-Dunlop. Wednesday, May 2.
"Chabon's novel is laden with mysteries but the chief one is whether groups can claim that things are meant to be.
HarperCollins is probably just wondering whether the book can make a profit.
'The stakes are high,' spokesman Jonathan Burnham admits, 'for Michael and all of us.'"

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Moonlight said...

It's funny... I've been thinking about Star Wars alot as of late, because of my students. I just started a blog for them at www.starwarsisourpassion.blogspot.com

and that Ellison, Groth, Wheeler thing... like, wow man. They're all posting on Heidi's thing (not that thing) right now. It's great. Ellison is do damn nuts.

I've seen no R2D2s as of late, but I'll take a pic if I do.

4 May 2007 at 02:12:00 GMT-5  
Blogger drjon said...

I'm very tempted to re-write that Groth-Wheeler-Ellison as a What If They Were English thing...

Don't have time. Have just had 7 MSes drop in my lap for emergency desktopping. *sigh*

4 May 2007 at 06:58:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Nate said...

We've got an R2D2 box in Pittsburgh... I thought it was an elaborate bit of graffiti at first.

4 May 2007 at 09:10:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Andrew Hawthorn said...

There's an R2 D2 here in New Haven too. I want a picture of me putting mail into it's head a la Princess Leia at the opening of Star Wars.

Anyway happy Star Wars day! I've celebrated this day since I saw the May the 4th gag on Count Duckula.

4 May 2007 at 10:54:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did any praise ever roll in for the modified Double Victory Campaign logo that replaced the Han Shot First text? 'Cause I liked that part. Someone should put that logo on a T-shirt, if only to save me from myself by turning it into a tattoo.

4 May 2007 at 11:43:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny that, I was just reading an online article about Star Wars: http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/001/248ipzbt.asp?pg=2

4 May 2007 at 16:16:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

I hate Star Wars. I mean...I really, really, really hate that shit.

I don't get the original version T-shirt. Zooms stratospherically over my head, I'm afraid.

4 May 2007 at 17:36:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Comic Tools said...

In the digitally "enhanced" versions, they attempted to soften Han's criminal character by changing the scene where he shoots Greedo (funny looking green man with proboscis), by having Greedo shoot first instead of Han. Not that Greedo wasn't gonna kill Han anyhow, but I guess having a dangerous hardcore smuggler shooting someone first was too much for Mr. Lucas' sensibilities, in his frail old age.

4 May 2007 at 21:36:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did I... Did I just talk Harlan Ellison and Gary Groth into talking face-to-face like adults?

Nah. Better not count my chickens until my britches is hatched.

4 May 2007 at 22:19:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Pam
that logo came from Bob himself, if memory serves. I gave it to Stew, I think, who reversed it to white on black and then bent it and resized it in photoshop to fit all the contortions of the body that were necessary.

Don;t know where it originated.

Eddie

5 May 2007 at 02:14:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

"Zooms stratospherically over my head, I'm afraid."

James, you do check the "links", don't you?
I always make them part of the story.

Eddie

5 May 2007 at 18:17:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

I can't find a link for the version of the T-shirt with the "V" symbol. Just the "Han Shot First" T.

Too bad about the "Groth Told to Bugger Off" story. I recall first encountering Too Much Coffee Man at the Mid-Ohio Convention many years ago. For some reason, I though the young lady behind the booth that day had created it. She certainly gave me that impression, and as the name "Shannon" is sexually ambivalent, I took her at her word. Imagine my surprise, years later, to learn that she did not, as she'd let on, create Too Much Coffee Man, and that Shannon Turner is a guy.

6 May 2007 at 08:46:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

my mistake. by 'original version' i thought you meant the first one
:) Eddie

6 May 2007 at 15:51:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home