Thursday 1 March 2007

A Pinch and a Punch.

A pinch and a punch for the first of the month (and all its variations and attachments). Where does that come from? I googled around to find the origin of that old saying and found a lot of people asking the same question.
Back in '96 when we were doing the last volume of Bacchus I had come up with a couple of characters named Transom and Mullion. There had been a tradesman in the house fixing windows and he had used the technical terms for the upright and horizontal in a window or door construction, at which point my mind left the matter at hand and my eyes probably glazed over. When you're galloping at high speed, writing a monthly book, you tend to sweep up everything before you and absorb it into your story. So I thought, Transom and Mullion, two characters who are always at cross purposes. Later I noticed the Hood's henchpeople in the Thunderbirds movie had those names (more wordplay since hood in Britain can mean the roof of a garage etc.), and they may have been in the original '60s series too, and if the names weren't used long before that I'd be surprised.


Once on paper, characters start to write themselves and these acquired a sado-masochistic relationship, and so, galloping at high speed from one month to the next I had them act out the first day of the month ritual in all of its violent potential. Pete Mullins, who worked with me in that period, always drew these two, and you can see his line is much cleaner than mine. (click for a larger reading version)

From Bacchus vol 10: Banged Up

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of Cain and Abel in Sandman except that one doesn't end up killing the other one I suppose

Eroom Nala

1 March 2007 at 19:45:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

wha-?
Cain didn't kill Abel?

eddie

1 March 2007 at 19:47:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

Haha. Big man beat up little man!

2 March 2007 at 06:28:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was it Able killing Cain or vica versa. Didn't one of them always kill the other only to have him come back to life later on to be killed once more ad infinitum

Eroom Nala

3 March 2007 at 22:18:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cain_and_Abel_%28Sandman%29

Cain frequently kills Abel in a kind of macabre form of obsessive-compulsive disorder, re-enacting the first murder. In the Dreaming, Abel's death is impermanent, and he seems to recover after a few hours. Cain seems unable to control his frequent murders of Abel, and occasionally expresses remorse over them; there is a genuine bond between the two, beneath the surface contempt. Abel remains dedicated to Cain, and frequently dreams of a more harmonious relationship between the two.


Eroom Nala (yet again)

3 March 2007 at 22:20:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Eroom,

yup. I knows all that.
you wrote:
"except that one doesn't end up killing the other one I suppose"
I was making light of your apparent presumption That Transom didn't kill Mullion, which he did, (tho wikipedia makes no mention of it.)

Eddie

3 March 2007 at 23:07:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops sorry I misunderstood Eddie. I'll have to get our copy of Bacchus #10 up from stack in my library and read it now.

Eroom N.

4 March 2007 at 16:42:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Typical we're supposed to have everything published in NSW at my library but we've only got Bacchus
Issues #1-6 and 9

Eroom Nala

;-(

5 March 2007 at 17:58:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

the last things i published are missing. i was going to reply at lengtth here then got an idea for a fresh post:
some of the silly reasons why I stopped being a self publisher
so wait for that

(ps. I don't have copies of any of those here in Australia.)

Eddie

5 March 2007 at 18:28:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home