Sunday 4 March 2007

ONE HUNDRED CONSECUTIVE DAYS OF BLOGGING

My pal Brad Weber caught sight of this at www.darkhorizons.com. "It's only a rumor, but the timing was weird enough that I thought to pass it along."
Shatner "Skinks" It Over?
"Former Starfleet Captain turned Internet schill William Shatner is expected back behind the microphone to lend his voice to Sony Picture's CGI remake of the 1960 scifi cult-favorite, Angry Red Gecko. Slated for 2009, the film recounts Man's first trip to Mars and the disastrous encounters with the planet's reptilian overlords. Originally reading for the hero, Commander Tom Nolan, studio execs OK'd Shatner a shot at voicing the vicious Martian Lizard King, Emperor Scincida. No word on which role, if any, Shatner earned."
"I've attached the movie poster from the 1960's film."
I see you've also made some telling alterations in the poster image to bring it up to date with the fact that we now know what the evil gecko emperor actually looks like.

Well, here we are at 100 days of posting. Time for a stock-take:

What's coming out: The Train was Bang on Time, a 32 page promo of The Black Diamond Detective Agency coming out first saturday in May for Free Comic Book Day. The book itself will be out a few weeks later in June.
I'm busy scanning the next volume of Alec, that being Three Piece Suit though it will have a different title, which presently escapes my memory, for Ca et La in France, to come out later in the year. And I've sent the next volume of Bacchus to Italy, also to appear before the end of the year. Watch for more info via the links in the sidebar. I also have a dozen pages in this year's offering from DeeVee, I think out in June.

Where I'll be: San Diego Comic Con in July at the Topshelf booth, Melbourne Writers' festival around end Aug/ begin Sept, days still to be arranged.

What I'm working on and where I'm up to: The Amazing Remarkable Mr Leotard. I'm working on page 60, which makes me exactly halfway through the project.

Other news. Michael Evans sent me a couple of links from the Weekend Australian and the BBC:
Inked world of dark genius
A new graphic novel is being hailed as a landmark, writes Geordie Williamson
March 03, 2007
"WHEN Matt Coyle made the lonely decision in the early 1990s to abandon his degree and become a graphic novelist, he was already a rare bird: the only artist based in the staid sandstone environs of St Paul's College at the University of Sydney, a traditional haunt of future lawyers, bankers and politicians."
In spite of living in the same country and having both been published by Kitchen Sink Press, I haven't come across Matt or his work. I'll have something to say when I get a hold of a copy of his Worry Doll. (somebody will now email me and say 'you idiot, that's the quiet bloke that always sat at the end of our table at Gilhooly's.')

And apparently the BBC is doing some kind of deal with YOUTUBE. This could only possibly be of interest to my pal Evans, who can never get enough Dr Who.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger spacedlaw said...

Signings in Italy ?
Or France ?

4 March 2007 at 01:24:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Christopher Moonlight said...

The Shat, to play an alien gecko?

4 March 2007 at 02:25:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

shatner was always the voice I wanted for the Lizard man cartoon, Damn you wallyhood, damn you to hell.

KHAANNNNNNNN.............

http://www.khaaan.com/

4 March 2007 at 03:21:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Johnny Walker said...

Congratulations!! Wow! I've only managed about five posts in my own blog over nearly the same time period!

I was wondering, do you think that writing a blog each day is good for your writing "muscle"?

I'm interested because it seems to come so easily for you and, as someone who used to enjoy writing bits and pieces, I can see the benefits of setting a goal for yourself.

I started a blog a few months ago and it's horribly, horribly stilted. It's still fun to do, however, and I'm hoping to keep it up in order to just try and loosen up my writing style again. I used to be fairly entertaining, I think. Now, I just suck!

Practising is the only way to improve, after all, so I hope if I keep it up, I'll started to loosen up again.

Hmmm, I guess it's the same as at the beginning of a "life drawing" class, now that I think of it, where you're given less and less time to draw something in order to force yourself to think less and do more.

I think I may have just answered my own question...!

4 March 2007 at 08:10:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

Ah! New Campbell projects!

My brain cells are drooling.

4 March 2007 at 12:23:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Kelly Kilmer said...

Hmm I'm wondering who I can send running around to comic book stores for me on Free Comic Book Day as I will be teaching in Las Vegas myself that day! Grr!!
Looking forward to seeing you at Con again. I will probably wait and buy your new book there.
Life sounds busy busy which is good, I suppose. I just hope the next book isn't about the Invasion of the Geckos...har dee har har har.

4 March 2007 at 13:43:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Nathalie
maybe France next year. talks are being talked.

Johnny
yes, i noticed you did a round-up on the subject of plagiarism when it came through on one of my standing google alerts.
I find that there is always stuff charging around in my head and it would drive me nuts if i couldn't get it out somehow. The old monthly comics were one way of keeping communication active, but with this situation of doing a book that takes a year, i discovered blogging just when i needed it.
i always told my kids to keep a diary and write in it every day, and i used to always do that myself. the blog is the modern way of doing that i guess. So write something every day! One day you'll find it happens like falling off a log. i cuurently have seventeen items in my drafts folder. Each day I pick the one nearest completion or the one that's bugging me the most, unless there is some lively thing happening anyway, like this last week. And sometimes the stuff in the drafts is just out of date and had to be deleted.

Kelly,
i'll see you there! unless the geckos get me.

eddie

4 March 2007 at 20:55:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Johnny Walker said...

Thanks for the response! I will try harder to write something every day, I've got plenty of things in my head, I just never seem to get around to writing them down. Thanks for the inspiration!

5 March 2007 at 08:46:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Congrats on hitting the century mark for blogging, Eddie! I think if you can keep at it for that long, you're probably in a groove that'll last a long time.

I've been blogging for just over 5 months now, and have cranked out almost 700 posts in that time. I also have a work blog that I make a point of posting to once per day, although that one's much more limited in scope and takes more brain power to write, because, well, someone's paying me to do it!

As is probably the case with you, blogging feels very natural to me and most days doesn't take much effort. Others in my own blogosphere (mostly co-workers) have started up full of piss and vinegar and then fizzled out, or found that 2 or 3 posts per week is about their maximum output after the initial burst of energy gives out.

Blogging's certainly a funny business, eh?!

5 March 2007 at 20:32:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home