Monday 1 January 2007

The Pick-up Truck of Hieronymus Bosch. part 1

Thought for the day: "What if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today." -the Bill Murray character in Groundhog day, which was on the box here yesterday.

So far, the new year is going much like the old one. I still can't manage to get a picture uploaded to the profile thing on the right there. So apologies to the 843 people who have looked in there and found nothing (or the one person who has looked 843 times). I've noticed, here and there, folks who are having trouble with the new version of Blogger. Well, here at Castle Campbell we are no different. I can only upload a couple of pictures immediately after I've first signed in. After that it refuses me and I have to sign out and then sign in again, and even then I have to lean slightly to the right and chew my tongue in a certain way. In fact it is so suited to our mental condition here that there is even a suggestion going around that the new version of Blogger may even have been designed by Campbell.
* * * *
To business. In the first photo you see a truck that I observed parked in our town square here in Brisbane, in a roped-off, on-show way, some six or seven years back. I don't know from where it comes, whether it's local or flown in, or who is responsible for it. All I know is that it is one of the most magnificent things I have ever looked upon.



I'm only dating my photo approximately based on the guessable age of the wee person in this second photo: Callum Campbell. He looks about eight here. He's now taller than me, has long hair and knocks around on a skateboard all day.



He was last seen in print in The Fate of the Artist mooching cash from me to buy a condom:



Back then we used to occasionally go into town and 'hang out', as our American chums would say. We'd call it our 'father-son day out'. On these special occasions, among our frivolous quips and jollities, I would sometimes instruct him in the ways of the world. In one such moment of seriousness, we had stopped in the middle of the main street, the busy Queen Street Mall, I said to the wee lad, "There's nothing a woman likes more than when you put your nose in her belly button and go (like big flobbery dog with loose jowels) flubadubadubadubba!"
And he logged this imporatant information away in his lttle head while replying, "Yeah, never mind all that penis and vagina stuff, hey Dad?

Tomorrow, the details.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Kilmer said...

That car's a helluva lot cooler then the wheels most of us drive about in. Love the colors, love the seats, the skull, the whole idea! Wouldn't life be more interesting if we all drove art cars?

LOL, wonder if it still runs. Hell, it probably runs better then our 14 year old car.

New blogger is evil. I'll be damned before I can figure it out...plus they want you to basically hand over your soul before you "upgrade". I switched back to old blogger. My son is on New Blogger (he posts his Lego information and stuff that interests him but all mail he receives goes through me!). He's 9 and he an figure it out. Scary, huh?

Ha, that was one of my favorite parts of "Fate". Husband and I were rolling over it.

BTW, I think word verification this time was something along the lines of "NW BLGR SUKS"!!!

Kelly

1 January 2007 at 01:49:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I apologisze for posting out of topic, but I don't know how else to contect you. I was looking for the source of the poetry quoted in Deadface - "The ram is in rut", "the sky is empty", "the women's wine" - yourself? Or someone very obscure? If yourself, what are the legal ramifications of trying to put one or all to music?

Thanks.
Abe.

1 January 2007 at 02:17:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Thanks , Kelly. more on the truck and hopefully some info about who made it if a lead bears fruit...

always good to hear from you.

Abelard...
whatever that is, it wasn't I who wrote it. It sounds like it comes from Doing the islands, "It's a Jungle in here" and it would have been my pal Kublick who wrote it. I've not been in touch with him for a long time,.. and i don't know how to get hold of him. he's in Taiwan i believe...
hmmmm.... If it was me i'd want to clear it with him...
Eddie

1 January 2007 at 02:42:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

Happy New Year Eddie.
Nathalie

1 January 2007 at 04:07:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr C, that truck looks like something that might have been made for one of the Mad Max films - there were an awful lot of them, and they tended to wind up in all sorts of odd places (for a few years in the late eighties, there was one on display in a car park of a local video store).


cheers
B Smith

1 January 2007 at 06:17:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your entry today is like a wilder version of a Calvin & Hobbes episode, a conversation between Calvin and his dad.

On Blake: what was the book he did about the clown?
Clown, perhaps? I know this book only by reputation (haven't read it yet). A Dutch illustrator, Thé Tjong-Khing, also published a wordless book and achieved a national award for children's literature that was commonly given to 'wordfull' books and authors (not illustrators). I like books like these, which make us 'read' pictures over and over again.

p.s. Thanks for visiting :)

1 January 2007 at 10:13:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Damien said...

Groundhog Day is one of my favourite movies ever. Ever.

And there's never a tomorrow, today. Always, though.

That's a pretty awesome truck.

1 January 2007 at 18:51:00 GMT-5  
Blogger desembrey said...

Weird thought for the day - didja know there are in fact two Calum Campbell's in Brisbane? The other is a LTCOL in the Australian Army. I so must tell him he has a longhaired namesake on a skateboard.

Love the concept of "What if there is no tomorrow? There wasn't one today." being said yesterday.

Happy new year to you Eddie, Anne, and the clan.

1 January 2007 at 20:03:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

The truck looks like something out of Mad Max.

1 January 2007 at 20:03:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

I used that truck photo in my own blog. Let me know if this is not okay and I'll remove it. (I credited it to you.)

1 January 2007 at 20:22:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like Siegriest (sp?) is wearing the same shirt as young Callum ;)

Daren

3 January 2007 at 04:52:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

didn't we get a job lot from mr duds?

3 January 2007 at 05:08:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home